Monday, October 10, 2011

Power Changes Everything


After watching and reading about some very power hungry people my mind flashed back to my high school sociology class. I remembered learning about the Stanford Prison Experiment. It was all about how when good people where in positions of power they became awful because they felt they where just playing the roles they were told to play with no responsibility. They were considered evil because they were emotionally hurting the people that they were ruling over in real life and that didn't stop them. The experiment was suppose to go on for two weeks, but it ended up being shut down after six days because it became too real. I always thought this was so true based off of the coaches I've had to deal with in my life.

Coaches seem to think that leading by fear is the only way to get any respect from there players. Coaches think they have to physically and emotionally drain their team until the players become the perfect athletes their coaches have always dreamed of claiming. They think it is okay to be evil and mean because these are not their real personalities, just the ones they put on to coach. I understand that coaches can't be pushovers, but I don't understand why some do not respect their players at all. You show respect to get respect, but for some reason that doesn't apply to coaches. I think they could even be considered  bullies in some ways because they can say whatever they want and everyone one on the team just takes it, and if they don't like it they can quit. I've seen a coach yell directly in a girl's face over a mistake she made in a scrimmage. She took it, shed a tear, but never let the coach see her cry. I remember being scared to go to practice everyday because I didn't want to be publicly humiliated. Sports used to be fun, but they became the place where I hoped I could leave with my dignity still intact. I never understood who taught her to coach that way, but now I realize that her actions were never learned behavior. The coach was in a position of power which made her think it was her right to act that way because it was just the role she was playing. That's not a valid excuse in my eyes. She hurt so many people and didn't care, so she should take responsibility for her actions just like the guards in the experiment. In the end she'll have to live with her choices in life and that includes her coaching choices.

The sad thing about the whole situation is that the Stanford Prison Experiment showed that every human being is capable of becoming evil when they are put in a position of power. However, that doesn't mean that everyone has to follow this pattern. History won't repeat itself over and over again if more people become informed and realize there are better ways to get their points across. I know that I work harder for coaches and teachers that I want to impress, and most of the time they are the ones who respect  everyone and they don't punish, they push. I just hope that if I'm ever in position of power I won't become an uncontrollable monster that says and does things just because I can. I will spend my entire life trying to avoid becoming my old coach because I would hate to have someone feel this way about me some day.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very interesting way to put the view on sports. The Stanford Prison Experiment was also made into a movie later on. I watched it because at that time I had been taking psychology and it had been mentioned and it was terrible to think that people were put into this position and did become power hungry.

    I never thought about the coaches possibly being power hungry. That puts a whole new twist on the way you look at them. I always told myself that I would be a coach and if I did I would go with them on runs so they would not feel like I am making them do more then I could do.
    It just opened my eyes to how it could be so interesting to look at how my coaches in high school were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely relate to the experience of having a bad coach. But I don't think you should group all coaches together here, because I have had some wonderful ones as well. The correlation between the Stanford Prison Experiment and bad coaching is a good one I think, because it is the power trip that does it to them. But I also believe that some individuals are more susceptible to becoming power hungry, just like some people are more susceptible to becoming alcoholics or drug addicts. I've coached my younger brother's little league team and basketball team and I like to think that I didn't rule with an iron fist. I was inexperienced for sure, but the teams I coached ended up doing well and I think that had a lot to do with the mutual respect between the kids and I. I enjoyed the experience immensely and hope to do it again someday, and I hope that I can avoid becoming one of those coaches that gets drunk off the power.

    ReplyDelete