Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Worrier


First I want to say thanks for all the advice I got from your comments. They were really helpful and you made me feel a lot better about using constructive criticism in a good way. Now back to the blog...

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.  ~Elbert Hubbard, The Note Book, 1927

I know that everybody worries and they can't help it, but is their ever a level that's unhealthy for people? If there is one I think I'm at it, and I don't know why. I know that I'm so blessed and everything I worry about is probably small compared to other people's worries, but I can't stop.

In my freshman year of high school I wrote a paper on how I wanted to make it a goal of mine to worry less. Yet here I am today writing a blog about the same thing. I worry about making friends, missing my friend that plans to transfer, the new roommate I might get making my life miserable, missing the sports I used to play in high school, and losing my old friends. I spent the first few weeks here wondering if I had made the right decision with my major and school choice. I know that some worrying is good because it makes us take action because we don't want to miss out on anything, but it also prevents us from being ourselves. If worry about what other people think we choose not to do what our heart tells us to and we also stress ourselves out. Have you ever gotten the feeling where you know that if you quit now you feel like you will never be able to go back. I'm sick of feeling that way and I'm sick of always thinking about how I might regret the choices I make in the future. I feel like I'm the only person who looks that far into the future all the time. My sister is calmest person in the world and I'm her extreme opposite. I know I would be so much happier and more free if I was like her, so I why can't I change?

No matter what I'm going to learn how to worry less, because I can't live with this mindset anymore. It's driving me nuts, and maybe I'll crack one day and change my ways. If that doesn't work then maybe it will just take a few inspirational lyrics or quotes like the one above. Maybe I just need good advice, but I will break this, and not just because I'm going to regret it in the future if I don't.


1 comment:

  1. Change is the hardest thing to do for a person. Keeping up with the change is even harder.

    I have the same obsessive worry behavior. I worry about grades, a lot. I worry about my son, a lot. I worry about my husband getting hurt doing something stupid on the roof when I'm not home, a lot.

    I took the relaxation course at Stout a number of years ago. I recommend it if you have this inability to stop your mind from freaking out. Not only is it an easy class, but you get to nap during it. If you take it seriously you might even learn some really amazing relaxation techniques.

    Trust me, they help.

    ReplyDelete