Here's a sneak peak of what's to come either before or by the end of the day on Tuesday December 12th:
From the British sketch show Harry Enfield and Chums
This video seems like a joke today, but at one point life was like this for many women. Women's education was not always accepted, and knowledge was not an attractive quality. The women who who wanted the right to vote and that participated in political discussions wanted to do manly, so people looked at them as if they were manly.
If your interested in how women's education evolved you might also be interested in how they won the vote. A great movie that should check out is Iron Jawed Angles. It follows the long, hard fight of NWP, lead by Alice Paul and Lucy Burns, to get all American women the right to vote. It also covers NAWSA's actions, lead by Carrie Chapman Catt. It's an inspirational story and it will most likely surprise you what they went through, and how long it took for women to finally get the vote.

There is so much more to come, so please if you read my blog next week write a comment.
Thank You!
I will definitely respond to your post next week. I watched Iron Jawed Angels a couple years ago for a leadership class and I really enjoyed it. It really shows the struggle woman endured to prove their right of equality.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to refresh my brain about the movie before I respond next week! I remember the big events, but I forgot a lot of the character's names.
May I ask what class this is for? What a creative way to spread awareness of an important event in history. This is a good reminder that blogs are extremely useful.
It's for my United States Women's History class. It's really interesting and I'm learning a lot, but it's also a lot of work. I don't think I will be able to go into exact details on the backstory of the movie, but I'm hoping I'll be able to find some information on the actions Stout's female students took to gain equal rights, but I just have to find the information first. I'm finishing some other projects first, but as of now I've found a pamphlet on "The Stout Training School for the preparation of young women for home life". You'd be surprised what women went to school for in 1907.
ReplyDelete